Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ode to Yosemite



Oh Hollowed vision
of meadows meandering faith--
Mystified dew falling
Shower from Heaven's abode.
Caught in a bowl of grandeur
In Splendor weeping,
I wake up with joy!
Our first meeting was on an insistent invite-
Your friendly lovers' quarrel mend,
Belayed by his ardent resolve--
A place of refuge and soulful fill.
I still hear the distant inviting words,
Swift to deliver to an eagle's nest
Incensed of oak, pine and cedar.
"This most beautiful
place in the world!"
rests in the feathered abode above
the warring worlds.
Gaze upon this valley it bestowed
from beyond the 140 to descend below,
Eyes did share this splendid Beauty
spoken in your voice, opened by your hands.
Blessed time carved walls, veined by seasons
of which one was mine.
Mesmerizing chandelier as suspended lakes
Buttressed by rainbows of crystal weaving like arteries
around the heart of the land-- each pulsing drop
nourish the souls below!
Ashes lay on hallowed ground
to color the emerald lakes the pristine mirrors
and seascapes of stars that highlight
 the night sky above?  Teach as ancients
did of lost time, lost dreams
All journey to a second past.
Wishes wander through the church cabin below
lifting the bridal veil to hear lovers vows
shared on a fine morning born.
Oh what sighs echoes from El Capitan,
doused by streams of tears from the maiden
of Yosemite Fall or
witness promises split
On Half Dome?
Today I come back with four unwinged angels
playing your silenced voice
that now roam this land:
the rustling leaves,  the warmth of the midday sun
the cool breeze enveloped me of sounds
that only souls hear!
If Divine solace received upon the view
from this Sacred Mount-
receive the Love Embrace painted with Might!
Stands on this Pedestal of Strength,
for Time shall wane the bonds of dust,
and settle to wipe the faces of these Mountains,
that in one moment suffering ceased
only a pastoral prayer, 
this solemn ode,
will no longer want!


_______________________

Meus Otium:

I wrote this a few years ago-- upon the loss of my boyfriend at the time.  It started more as a memory of a weekend trip to Yosemite-- the first time he wanted me to see it.  I think the main theme that came out of was lost dreams,  fleeting existence and the cruelty of our suffering which seem to wane when one finds oneself in such a beautiful place. It is a comfort that surpasses all understanding...  I came back with four friends and I included that here as a point of contrast and the captured stills and their voices fill this ode... The painting is from Frida Kahlo of the same title to her work...I feel it represents many of the sentiments brought here :-) Have a wonderful day!

No comments: