Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Magic Plum Tree


I found this Golden Plum
and ate from it
a flesh so sweet

my mouth oozed with honey.
please let me plant
 this tree in my garden
so I can dream for more.


__________________

Meus Otium:

William Carlos Williams wrote about plums in an icebox in his poem, "This is Just to Say." The tension in this poem is so palpable from guilt to forgiveness, from having to nothing and the relationship between the two persons in this short communicative love note.  I like that it leaves the question as to whether this person might have saved those plums so that they would be cold and delicious for the person to partake of them.  

I remember the first poetry exercise we had was to write a poem on our favorite vegetable.  If the teacher had asked us to write about a fruit- the plum is what I would have written about.  The painting is by Van Gogh where incorporated Japonisme as other artist did like Monet as well.  Enjoy! :-)


No comments: